Thursday, January 31, 2019

Final Reflection


In this professional development session, I learned how to introduce blogging and vlogging to students, how to search for copyright free images, and how to create podcasts as auditory tools for students. The best thing about learning through this self-driven learning was that it forced me to “trial-and-error” with each of the tools. I am normally the type of student who enjoys lectures and exact directions because I become frustrated when I have to figure things out and cannot find an answer to my exact issue or question. With that said, I liked being forced to truly figure things out on my own, because I think I learned more this way. With the auditory tools specifically, it took me a while to figure out Synth. I realized what I didn’t know when I created my first podcast, and then had the opportunity to make threads. At this point, I understood the difference between a podcast and threads. And I am still learning how to use the text that pairs with my audio recording. Sometimes “playing” with a tool is helpful for exploration because you can find new things. In looking for copyright free images on Unsplash, I learned how easy it can be to find meaningful pictures, and pictures that can provoke student thinking and discussion. With blogging, I have always personally feared setting up a blog, but the platform I chose for this professional development showed me that I do not need to feel overwhelmed with setup, and that there are simple formats that can be used. I will be using all three tools that I explored with my students, by helping create a class blog, teaching about copyright and using pictures that are copyright free (especially as my secondary students prepare for college), and I will create podcasts based on content areas for my students. The hardest part to any implementation is time, as I need to take the time to implement these tools, but I think that it will be worth it for my students! I look forward to signing up for another professional development session like this because it allowed me to explore topics that interested me most.

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head! One of the main goals, perhaps the most important one, I have for participants is for them to become more comfortable with trial-and-error learning, not being afraid to jump in and "push all the buttons". That truly gives you the ability to tackle anything. Well done! Congrats on finishing and thanks for participating. Hope you'll join the additional sessions.

    ReplyDelete